By definition, it is the name of the operation in which they intervene in the anatomy of the nasal middle compartment and external roof. Of course, this operation is evaluated in two different categories in terms of objectives and results. It is actually a combination of two different operations. Septorhinoplasty is the name of the operation in which they correct the curvatures of the cartilage and bone wall that partially support the roof in the middle part of the nose. Rhinoplasty, on the other hand, is the correction operation performed by adhering to certain proportions visually (aesthetically).
What is Septorhinoplasty?
It is a nose surgery. They solve the curvature problems of the nose in this type of surgery that we call deviation in the nose.
While taking care of respiratory problems and aesthetic concerns caused by curvature in surgery performed by the surgeon under general anesthesia. In this way, they both solve health problems and correct the non-aesthetic appearance in the nose.
What are the Symptoms of Septorhinoplasty?
First of all, they follow the sounds of nose and breath. Inability to breathe comfortably while sleeping, dry mouth, sound breathing are the main symptoms of nasal deviation. Nasal congestion, taking small breaths, and nasal discharge are other symptoms.
They wait until the end of puberty for the nose deviation operation, which we often see in children. Because the body does not complete its development until the adolescence period passes, and the permanent interventions they make before hormonal changes are completed are inconvenient. In such cases that reduce the quality of life by preventing breathing with the nose, it is necessary to consult a doctor immediately. Periodic medical checks should be done, especially in children, until they reach the period, they can have surgery. After surgeries that provide permanent solutions, you should follow the doctor’s recommendations and do not disrupt the controls.
Septorhinoplasty Procedure Process -How is it Performed?
The wishes and complaints of the patient should be carefully analyzed, and the operation should be planned accordingly. The fact that the inner part of the nose is in the midline allows the intranasal air circulation to flow without turbulence, and the surgeon intervenes in this direction. Intervention to the roof is done by finding the point where the patient’s wishes intersect with a facial analysis suitable for the face. The anatomical structure of the patient may not be suitable for every surgery. Therefore, they should make a joint decision for the best possible result by talking to the patient and performing face analysis together with advantages and disadvantages.
Although the patient’s intranasal curvatures can be easily understood with the help of a normal nasal speculum during the examination, it is sometimes useful to view the inside of the nose endoscopically for the ease of explaining the pathology and the procedure to the patient. They rule out possible sinusitis diagnosis by planning paranasal sinus tomography in patients with suspected concomitant chronic sinusitis.
📌 If you want to learn more about the rhinoplasty surgery, read our article about “Everything You Need to Know About Rhinoplasty”.
Are There Age, Gender and Skin Criteria in This Surgery?
The nose roof and appearance analysis are more extensive. Face proportions, skin analysis, gender cause different planning. They should analyze the patient’s cartilaginous roof and supports particularly well. Postoperative edema (swelling) is more in patients with thick and oily skin. In patients with thin skin, the slightest irregularities may be remarkable, so they should camouflage the transition points. While the skin is thicker at the tip of the nose, it has the thinnest skin thickness at the full cartilage bone transition area. In the root part of the nose, the skin is thin and subcutaneous tissue is high.
Gender is important for the support of cartilage and bone structures. Often, the bone and cartilage skeletons of female patients are more delicate and susceptible to damage. They make a plan considering the age factor. They get a much better anatomical and surgical plan in a young patient who has completed cartilage development. Although the age limit varies, performing an aesthetic intervention under the age of 17 poses a risk in terms of cartilage development. However, they can perform septorhinoplasty surgery if there is a functional need.
Septorhinoplasty – Before Surgery Process
- They take a detailed anamnesis (story) from the patient. From time to time, the psychological state of the patient also takes an important place in the observation.
- They make a detailed physical examination of the patient, taking into account the conditions described above.
- After the patient decides on the operation, they are planned for preliminary examinations for this surgery that they will perform under general anesthesia. (Blood tests, ECG and AC evaluation) They question the chronic diseases of the patient. Especially allergic diseases, such as seasonal allergies, may require delaying the surgery for a while.
- They understand the patient’s wishes and plan appropriate interventions for surgery.
- They discuss the patient’s facial analysis.
Septorhinoplasty -Operation Process
- They ask the patient to fast for 8 hours before the operation.
- They can plan the surgery as open and closed techniques. In open technique operation, mastery of anatomy and thus pathology (abnormalities) is more. In the operations they perform with the open technique, they make a horizontal incision in the middle part that separates the nostrils. They try to leave a minimal scar by using a very thin suture material after surgery.
- The operation time can be between 2 and 4 hours.
- In revision (re-surgery) cases, it may be necessary to take cartilage tissue from the auricle and rib, depending on the support status of the cartilage structure. This can extend the operation time by 45-60 minutes.
- At the end of the surgery, they use a silicone grooved pad to control bleeding and adhere the tissues to the appropriate anatomy sites as soon as possible.
- After the surgery, they place a thermoplastic plaster on the back of the nose to protect the patient from external influences and to prevent swelling.
Things You Need to Pay Attention to After Septorhinoplasty Surgery
After the operation they successfully performed under general anesthesia:
- They should renew the dressing and nose bandages during the period indicated by the surgeon.
- You should not do sports and heavy exercises.
- The face and its surroundings should not come into contact with water.
- In addition to these, it is very important to protect the nose against impacts.
📌 If you wonder “Do I need a nose surgery?”, you must consult an experienced surgeon.
What Kind of Appearance Is Formed After Surgery?
A natural appearance occurs after the operation, but this natural appearance is more aesthetic. They solve internal and external problems in the nose. They revise the cartilages.Also, they arrange the nose structure in the most appropriate way for your face type.
Can They Combine Septorhinoplasty and Other Nose Surgeries?
If you have had a nasal deviation surgery as a result of your health problems and you are not satisfied with your nose shape, you can solve your health problem with septorhinoplasty. With rhinoplasty surgery, you can revise your nose shape in a thinner, raised, small or on the contrary. You should definitely consult your doctor and get the most accurate information.
📌 Check out the “Best Nose Jobs”.